Saturday, November 25, 2006

First Committee Meeting


At Ron's request, I will spill my guts here about my first and most recent committee meeting. Lesley, Kim and Ron are on my committee. As I look over my notes to this meeting, I realize that my work is still at an early stage.

Kim did not seem to like to deal with the technical aspects of stereo photos and could not get past the "gimmick" quality. As far as painting on images from my past, she did not feel the work was enough about collective memory. She suggested to look at Mary Kelly's work, but even about that she said that a critic had the same response to Mary's work as Kim had to mine: "So what does this have to do with me?" She suggests I explore more biography than auto-biography.

Something was said about fragmentation of images relating to the stereo views.

Lesley suggested reviewing some artists work that I was already aware of and gave me a great lead on a job.

Ron pointed out that all my work had or has some sort of extra thing attached to the photography. Painting on them, stereo etc. it all seems to shy from straight photography. He asked the question: "When does it become 'explorations in how to make your work more arty'" This is true, I have always moved away from straight photographs for the art venue.

So what can I conclude from this meeting?

First no one is going to tell me what to do.
They will tell me they like it or not once they see it.
So basically, it is a production driven process. Something like my painting on photos may not be working at the moment, but with more effort, it could turn into the cat's meow. So it seems you won't know till you do it and present it.

Where will I go from here? Make em bigger! Like I always say, if you can't make em good, make em bigger.

No comments: